The skin is a gigantic organ that will absorb chemicals from anything you apply to it. Before you buy any cosmetics, check the ingredients. Some are suspected to be carcinogenic, some will cause skin irritations whilst others may dry out your skin. Some of the chemicals used are hormones disrupters, reproductive toxins or industrial chemicals used in in painting, cleaners and so on.
Here is a partial list to avoid:-
- Sodium Lauryl and Sodium Laureth Sulfate – skin irritation / skin corrosion, hormone imbalance, eye irritation / eye deformities in children, protein denaturing, potential carcinogen
- Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA) – possible human carcinogen, hormone disrupter
- Parabens – linked to cancer, endocrine disruption, reproductive toxicity, immunotoxicity, neurotoxicity and skin irritation
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) – carcinogenic contaminants risk
- DMDM Hydantoin – preservative that releases formaldehyde, a carcinogen and tissue irritant
Two things to think about when you consider using products with these chemicals.